Foreign Direct Investment and Indigenous Enterprise
Goal - Improve the competitiveness of County Waterford to attract internationally mobile industry.
County Waterford hosts internationally profile employers in a range of sectors. These include:
- Pharmaceutical / Science: GSK, Pinewood Laboratories (Wockhardt), Microbrush International Limited, Lancaster Laboratories Europe (Microchem).
- International Business Services: Citi Hedge Fund Services, Glanbia Shared Services.
- Engineering: Radley Engineering, Shanley Engineering, Powerflow.
- Food: Cappoquin Poultry, Flahavans, Dawn Meats and Meadow Fresh Foods.
- Creative Industries: Nemeton Television Production.
Click on the following link for more information on County Waterford Employers.
The actions presented in the Economic Plan will build on these sectoral strengths of the County and Region. Over recent years, the competitiveness of the County Waterford has been improved considerably. The County offers:
- A skilled labour force with a one hour catchment population of 500,000;
- Access to the students and alumni of top-quality third/fourth level institutions of: Waterford Institute of Technology; University College, Cork; and Cork Institute of Technology;
- Excellent access, with two airports and key seaports in Waterford and Cork and excellent road infrastructure;
- Considerable additional capacity in the County’s water services;
- High speed, resilient broadband telecommunication services in the main centres;
- Availability of strategic, serviced sites in strategic locations throughout the County; and
- Excellent quality of life which helps businesses to retain staff.
The actions required to deliver this goal are presented in Table 6.1