County Waterford, Ireland
|You are here: Home > Business > Labour Force & Skills|
Labour Force & SkillsTweet
Labour Force and Skills
With a growing population and a high level of continued education, Waterford can offer an expanding and highly educated workforce with a range of skills that matches the expertise required by business.
The population and labour force of Waterford is rapidly growing. In 2011, the population of Waterford was 113,707; the majority (76%) of which live in the County and the remaining 24% living in Waterford City. This is not the entire picture. The population of the one -hour catchment area of County Waterford, which spans a number of key urban centres including Wexford Town to the east, Kilkenny City to the north and Cork City to the west, is c.500,000. Thus, there is a critical mass of labour supply for a range of industries within the catchment area of County Waterford.
Third Level Education
There is a student population of 41,800 within one hour of County Waterford from Waterford Institute of Technology, University College Cork and Cork Institute of Technology.
To cater for the increasing demand for the courses at Waterford Institute of Technology, along with the expansion of the number of courses that the Institute offers, the Campus has and will continue to see significant investment at its campus in the short term.
Reflecting Waterford Institute of Technology’s commitment to industry and entrepreneurship, the South East Enterprise Platform Programme was established. This programme seeks to support entrepreneurs in knowledge-based start-ups to develop their business concept. A mix of supports are available to participants including: training, mentoring, incubation space and funding. For further information on the South East Enterprise Platform Programme visit www.seepp.ie.
In 1996 the Telecommunications Software and Systems Group (TSSG) was established in Waterford Institute of Technology. The TSSG’s main area of research is communications software services encompassing emerging architectures for management of complex telecommunications and internet systems as well as next generation service development and deployment. The TSSG has two primary divisions, the Research Division and the Commercial Division. The TSSG is an exemplar of a new vision of research in Ireland and pursues a combination of academic and commercial excellence. Further information on TSSG can be found at www.tssg.org.
For information on all course and supports available at Waterford Institute of Technology visit www.wit.ie.
Waterford County Council, in association with FÁS, Waterford Institute of Technology and Waterford Vocational Educational Committee work collaboratively to ensure that skills shortages that are identified. Courses are made available in partnership with industry to ensure that the bespoke skills needs of employers and employees can be provided.